Friday 15 April 2011

MOVIE REVIEW: RED RIDING HOOD (12A)

"AVERAGE IN EVERY ASPECT"
++
Red Riding Hood is a dark fantasy film directed by Catherine Hardwicke (same woman that brought us Thirteen, 2006.) This film is set in a medieval village that is haunted by a werewolf, a young girl falls for an orphaned woodcutter, much to her family’s displeasure. Its Starring Amanda Seyfried, Virginia Masden, Billy Burke, Julie Christie, Shiloh Fernandez, Gary Oldman, Max Irons, Michael Shanks, Christine Willes, Michael Hogan & Lukas Haas.

#Fact: This film is loosely based on the folk tale: Little Red Riding Hood
THE REVIEW:
This is one of them films that tried its best at a good piece of film making but fell at the first hurdle. The entertainment level is very average, they had a chance to make it into something great but then just don’t. Even when we are introduced to this CGI Werewolf, it doesn't come off as bloody and gruesome as I would have liked (more please). The whole experience reminded me of Twilight alot, it just has that feel to it. I think they had that type of fan base in mind when making this. It’s called Red Riding Hood but she doesn’t ride anything. Hmm.. Strange? (I thought so too).

A lot of people are going to be disappointed with this film, I gave up on the storyline half way through it (if there was one). The script is very much as Cliché as anything I had seen lately, its probably the worst film I have seen in April if not 2011. As a whole it seemed too staged (nobody wants to feel the fakeness) Only good thing women can look forward to is all the men that they like to call eye candy, and a very mediocre acting the leading men pull off. Amanda Seyfried becomes more and more appealing as the film crawls along. She does her best to hold It all together but sadly failed. Gary Oldman shows class in his acting but most of the others fail to do the same.
#Overall: A Last Resort Choice.
 STAR RATINGS OUT OF 5:  2
++
ONE FAVOURITE MOMENT IN THE FILM:
First encounter with the Wolf.
(if you loved another moment in the film, please feel free to share it with us in the comments)
TRAILER:

2 comments:

  1. Maybe it reminded you of twilight because they have the same director Cartherine Hardwicke made twilight and red riding hood

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review. I haven't seen this movie yet, but based on all the negative reviews I've been reading on this movie I'm not sure if I want to anymore. I did just start subscribing and working with DISH Network and got Blockbuster by mail free for 3 months so I guess I'll just add this one to my queue and enjoy it for free! Check it out http://bit.ly/khvWnc. :)

    ReplyDelete